I wanted some sunblinds for my car, something that covers the windows fully but easily removable, tints were out because they are fit and forget, normal blinds are generic so only cover a portion of the window.
Someone on the daciaforum.co.uk mentioned these, they are polycarbonite sheets cut to fit your windows, they pop in and can easily be popped out, sounds like an easy thing and the perfect solution.
Ordered direct from the UK website and paid £75 for the rear screen and 2 rear quarter panels – I didn’t opt for the whole rear passenger windows as installation prevents you from lowering them, but for static windows they would be perfect.
After ordering I received a confirmation email and then tracking info, their site says delivery takes approx. 7 days as they come from Sweden………7 days later I get a text notification from dpd about the delivery – now this part wasn’t great, they kept trying to deliver when I wasn’t there despite being told to deliver to my neighbour, after calling dpd they said the sender wouldn’t allow them to be delivered to anywhere but the address, hmmmmmm.
Anyway, picked them up from the depot and at the end of the day went home, opened them up carefully (no knives as per the custom packaging so to avoid damage), out came the rear screen, 2 side panels and a bag of paperwork and bits.
The panels felt thin but thats what I was expecting, the side panels were perfectly cut but the rear panel looked like it was done by hand in some places, which I hoped wouldn’t be a problem.
Now this is both good and bad, the panels sit in between the glass and the trim, this is meant to act as their fixing.
So I followed the instructions, watched their YouTube videos and then made sure all the windows were clean, put on the supplied gloves and peeled off the film – the gloves are supplied to prevent finger prints and dirt. The side windows popped in and within 30 seconds they were both done and dusted.
The back window, or as I know it the half hour of hell. It seemed simple, bend, flex and pop in – great, except the poor cut stopped it from sitting right and once in place it vibrated against the back window like no-ones business. The bag of bits included pieces of plastic with double sided tape attached, apparently they are to bit fitted to stop vibration and movement. For me they were either too tight or useless!
Several minutes of utter frustration led me to ripping the rear unit out and swearing at it lots. After a cup of tea and a think I came up with a solution, sticky neoprene padding applied around the outside edge. Once this was on, the rear screen was a different thing, it now sits nicely in the trim gap with no vibration or movement.
The concept is there (well for static windows) and the fitting should be simple, but a little more attention is needed when they cut the panel so no odd bits are in the way. Personally for the rear screen the small addition of the neoprene foam helped no end, but thats from using that sort of thing before and having a mind that hates defeat – others may have been happy with the vibration or been frustrated but given up.
Update – 05/07/2015
The neoprene foam compressed, which caused the rear panel to slip which damaged the foam which caused vibration which caused the panel to slip which damaged more foam and so on – the vibration on the rear panel over bumpy roads (of which we have many in the UK) became so annoying that I have decided to remove the all 3 panels. (Well the sides would look daft with no rear).
Don’t waste your money, either opt for tints or look for removable sunshades made from mesh fabric.